Return to the Main Page of  the  Dillard-LSU blog

Saturday, October 09, 2004

not my town

Watching last night's town hall debate solidified my previously held thoughts that the candidates & campaigns focus too much on homogenous communities in the midwest. From the Iowa caucuses to campaigning in predominately white areas, I see the same faces in a campaign each year. These people don't look like modern America.

Yesterday Bush's blog post said that the Latino vote was where it is at. I tried, but I didn't see one Latino face in the crowd. Kerry has several community groups listed on his Web page (Africian Americans, Arab Americans, lesbian & gay community, etc.). But I barely saw these faces in the crowd either. The candidates obviously say they support & work for these minority communities ... but why are these communities going unrepresented in the town hall debate that is supposed to represent the voice of the average voter?

The average voter is not a middle-aged, midwest-living, white person. That is what I all I saw (with some exception) in the Gallup chosen Missouri audience last night. Diversity means more than allowing a few women & African Americans in the hall. That might explain why so few questions actually dealt with the minority issues we focus on here.

1 Comments:

At October 11, 2004 at 10:04 AM, Blogger k said...

Adam & Azzari,

I agree 100%. I too noticed the first name business & thought that was a little suspect. Do you think they would want us calling them George & John? Probably not.

I wish I had tivo'ed the debate so I could watch it again & actually count how many seniors, women & racial minorities were represented in the so-called town hall meeting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home